Make porridge great again!
Happy October, the start of porridge season!
And a good, well made porridge is a game-changer. It gives your day a proper healthy start. Porridge is good fibre rich breakfast, gentle to your digestion and with these following tips you can also add protein and nutrients to it. A piping hot porridge will kickstart your morning and keep you fuelled until lunch time. For gluten free options or just for a change, swap oats to buckwheat or millet.
How to add nutrients to your porridge:
- Add one to two teaspoons of berry powder to your porridge. That is equivalent to a handful of fresh Arctic berries. The powder is fully raw and jam-packed with nutrients, therefore we recommend stirring in the berry powder after cooking the oats. This way you maximise your nutrient intake and don’t loose any of the essential vitamins by heating them.
- Add nuts, seeds and fruits. Nuts and seeds also add good oils and protein to your porridge, so hunger stays in bay until lunch time. One of our fav combination is banana, kiwi fruit and tahini!
- Stir in other superfoods such as Maca powder which gives a nice, creamy texture. Adding avocado is good too. It will make the porridge extra creamy!
- Top your porridge with nutrient-rich foods – nut butters, extra serving of berry powder, berry compote, local honey, cocoa nibs, hemp seeds etc. You name it!
How to add protein to your porridge:
- Add protein rich toppings – Nut butter or nuts are a great and tasty way to add protein
- Stir in a teaspoon of protein powder
- Also try adding an egg white to your oats while cooking it. You won’t taste it but it will boost your bowl with a lot more protein.
- Add chia seeds to your oats
- Add a scoop of natural yogurt or quark on top! Dairy products are a good source of protein
Now we want to share one of our favourite porridge recipes with you! We’ve eaten this porridge the past five years (at least!) and we’re still not bored of it. Occasionally, we keep swapping between tahini and peanut butter. But one ingredient always stays, Wild Blueberry powder! Hope you like it!
Wild Blueberry & Peanut butter porridge
1. Heat up the milk in the saucepan. Scoop in the peanut butter, add the oats and salt. Cook in a low heat for 10 to 15 minutes. Stir the porridge occasionally. Turn off the heat, wait a few minutes the mixture to cool down. Stir in the blueberry powder and cinnamon. Add to bowls and top with your favourite toppings.
Also try making your own coconut-berry peanut butter!
225 grams of cashews and peanuts mixed
100 grams of desiccated coconut
3 heaped teaspoons of chosen Arctic Berry powder
(Wild blueberry and Arctic Blackcurrant work well!)
- Pour the nuts and coconut into your food processor and blend until they start to form a smooth paste. (we use Ninja Kitchen)
- Continue to blend, allowing the oils to release and eventually you should be left with a beautifully smooth and creamy consistency.
- Add in the berry powder and blend once more
- Store in an air tight jar and enjoy on porridge, toast or scoop straight from the jar like we do 🙂
Find more porridge recipes HERE
. Also have a read how inflammation can harm your health and how to reduce inflammation with plant-based meals. Read it HERE
XX LOVE, EVE & ANNA