If you feel like baking over the holidays or want to offer something tasty, yet healthy to your guests on New Years Eve, look no further. These delicious cookies by Nadia from Nadia's Healthy Kitchen go down as a treat and are gluten free filled with cashew cranberry cream...mmmm!
For the orange cookies:
- 1 cup (115g) gluten-free oat flour - make your own by blending oats into a fine flour in your food processor/blender
- ¾ cup (135g) gluten-free plain flour
- ¼ cup (4 tbsp) coconut sugar or brown sugar
- ¼ cup (4 tbsp) maple syrup
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3 tbsp orange juice
- Zest of 1 orange - about 1 tbsp
- ¼ cup (4 tbsp) coconut oil, melted
For the cranberry cashew cream:
- 1 cup (145g) cashews - preferably soaked in water for 4 hours
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 4 tbsp milk of choice
- 1 tbsp Arctic Power Berries cranberry powder
To make the cookies:
- Preheat your oven to 180°C (160°C fan assisted)/ 350°F.
- In a large bowl, mix together the oat flour, GF flour, sugar, baking powder and salt
- Pour in the melted coconut oil, maple syrup, orange juice and orange zest. Mix to combine.
- Wrap up the dough in cling film and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Place dough on a lightly floured worktop. Roll out to a thickness of about 1/4 inch.
- Use a star shaped (or any shape!) cookie cutter to cut out the cookies.
- Arrange on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper and bake for 15-20 minutes. I like mine super crunchy so I left mine in for 20 minutes. Bear in mind the baking time will also depend on the size of your cookies.
- Leave to cool completely.
To make the cranberry cream:
- Blend all the ingredients in your food processor until smooth.
- Chill in the fridge for 30 minutes to make it easier to work with
Assembling the cookies:
- Spread a layer of the cranberry cream on one of the cookies and top with another. Smooth the edges out with a knife.
- Chill in the fridge again to allow the cream to harden.
- You have the option of dipping the cookie sandwiches in melted chocolate, because everything is better with chocolate :D