Lemon cake with blueberry frosting
1 cup spelt or all-purpose flour
1/2 cup almond flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup almond milk
1/4 cup + 1 tbsp soy yoghurt
1 tbsp coconut oil
4 tbsp coconut sugar
1/2 tbsp lemon juice
Zest of half a lemon
Baking sheet or breadcrumbs+coconut oil for the cake tin
1 cup coconut cream (NOT coconut milk. Use the thick layer on top of a can of chilled coconut milk if you can't find coconut cream)
5-6 big fresh dates
1-2 tbsp blueberry Powder
1. Preheat the oven to 175°C. Grease a small rectangular cake tin (approx 22 cm x 14 cm) with coconut oil and breadcrumbs or line it with a baking sheet.
2. Place all of the dry ingredients in a large bowl and stir well.
3. Incorporate the wet ingredients with the dry without over mixing.
4. Pour the cake batter into the cake tin and bake in the oven for around 30 minutes or until a knife stuck into the middle of the cake comes out dry.
5. While the cake is in the oven, prepare the frosting by blending the coconut cream with the dates and blueberry powder until smooth. Spoon into a bowl and put back in the fridge
6. Leave the cake to cool in the tin for 10-15 minutes before turning it out.
7. Let the cake AND frosting cool completely (the frosting should be thick, not runny) before putting the frosting on top of the cake. Decorate with sliced fruit of your choice.
8. The cake is best eaten on the same day but can be stored in the fridge overnight if kept in an airtight container.