Home made cranberry crumpets
2 cups of flour
2 teaspoons quick rise instant yeast
1 tespoon sugar (or honey)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup warm water
1 cup warm milk
1 tablespoon berry powder
Metal cookie cutters or crumpet molds
Butter, oil or cooking spray
Crumpets are convenient to buy from a shop but they are delicious and perfectly spongy when you make them yourself.
1. Whisk the flour, yeast, sugar, salt and berry powder in a large mixing bowl. Combine water and milk in a separate bowl and mix together with the dry ingredients, Add more flour for thicker batter if needed but but after the batter has reached the consistency of thick cream. Too thick dough results in no wholes on the crumpets.
2. Cover the bowl with a towel and let the dough rise for about 1 hour in a warm place.
3. Preheat oven to 150 degrees C.
4. Grease the cookie cutters with butter, oil or cooking spray and let them heat up in the oven before placing the dough on them.
5. Fill the cookie cutters to about halfway and cook them for 5 minutes, or until the tops are dry and bubbles appear on top.
6. Take the crumpets out from the oven and remove the cookie cutters from them with two forks or thongs. Flip the crumpets around and place them in the oven again for another 1-2 minutes to cook the other sides until toasted, golden brown color.
Delicious when served with jam, maple syrup, ice cream, honey or caramel sauce. Also try adding bananas into the mix. Sprinkle berry powder on top, garnish with nuts, fruits or berries.